Portugal Golden Visa – Invest in Portugal and get the Residence Permit
A Portugal Golden Visa is a residence permit that is issued to non-EU citizens who have made significant investments in Portugal. This includes buying real estate, capital investment or creating employment opportunities.
You can apply for permanent residence or citizenship in a country within the EU in a matter of minutes. With the Golden Visa you can be eligible for Portuguese citizenship within five years.
Portugal Golden Visa Investment Options
You must make the following investments to be eligible for a Golden Visa in Portugal:
- Buy a property that is worth at least EUR500,000 The investment amount for a property in low-density areas is EUR400,000
- You can invest EUR350,000 to buy a property located in a Portuguese area of urban regeneration. The investment amount for a property in a low density area is EUR280,000. The project must be eligible for investment by the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF).
- You must invest at least EUR350,000 into a qualified Investment Fund. The Portuguese CMVM (Securities Market Commission) regulates the investment options. They usually include venture capital investments in real estate and start-up tech companies.
- A Portuguese bank account must be able to make a capital transfer in excess of EUR1,000,000
- Buy company shares in the amount of EUR1,000,000
- Invest at most EUR1 Million in a company
- At least ten new jobs should be created for Portuguese nationals.
- You must invest at least EUR350,000 to create a commercial business or increase the share capital. This will allow you to create at least five full-time positions.
- Capital transfer of at most EUR350,000 to support research in science and technology, either by public or private scientific research organizations.
- To support national heritage reconstruction or the arts, make a capital transfer of no less than EUR250,000
Important note. You will not be eligible for a Golden Visa starting in July 2021 if you purchase property or invest in coastal or metropolitan areas like Lisbon or Agrave. This is because the Portuguese government wants to encourage foreign investment in low-density regions of the country.
Who is eligible to apply for a Golden Visa in Portugal?
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Golden Visa Portugal.
- You must be at least 18 years old
- It is necessary to make significant investments that are beneficial for the Portuguese economy
- No criminal record is required
- You have to own the money that you want to invest
- You must agree to maintain the investment for at most five more years
Is it possible to get Portugal citizenship by investing?
Yes, after five years, you can become eligible for citizenship if you are granted a Golden Visa. You don’t have to reside in Portugal to obtain citizenship through the Golden Visa route, unlike other countries. It is enough to only spend seven to 14 days per year in Portugal.
You will need to show that you are able to live in Portugal and have a steady source of income.
The Portugal Golden Visa has many benefits
A golden visa to Portugal, the Golden Visa, is highly sought-after by wealthy investors. It offers many benefits such as:
- The following family members can be included on your visa:
- Your spouse
- Children below the age of 18
- Dependent adult children who are full time students (up until age 26)
- You or your spouse can be dependent parents
- Any other dependents such as minor siblings
- Your family members and you can travel visa-free to Schengen Zone countries up to 90 days per 180-day period.
- To renew your visa, you don’t have to be in Portugal for a long time. Only seven days per year is required.
- Portugal offers healthcare and education for you and your family members if you choose to live there.
- After five years, you can apply for a Portugal visa. A Portuguese passport, which is part of the EU will allow you to access the EU free market and the freedom to travel in more than 100 other countries.
Portugal Golden Visa Application: Documents Required
- These documents are required for the submission of the Portugal Golden Visa Application
- Official Portugal Visa Application Form. This form can be downloaded from the Portuguese visa portal.
- Valid passport.
- Two passport-sized photos, in accordance with Portugal’s visa photo requirements.
- Portugal requires proof of health insurance.
- You must prove that you have no criminal convictions. A certificate from any country where you have lived for more than one year is required. The relevant authorities must issue the certificate within three months. It must also be translated into Portuguese.
- Sworn statement that you will keep your investment for at least five years.
- Payment receipt via the ARI portal
- All documents that relate to your investment are listed below.
Purchase real estate property in the amount of EUR500,000
- Pre-contract agreement or acquisition deed of property
- A declaration from a financial institution registered or authorized in Portugal that proves international transfer of assets.
- The Land Register Certificate, together with records, endorsements and registration in force attests that the property is owned.
- If applicable, the legal description of property
An investment of EUR350,000 for a property in a Portuguese area of urban regeneration
- These documents are the ones I mentioned.
- A declaration from a competent entity proving the property is located in a rehabilitation area
A minimum capital transfer of EUR1,000,000 to a bank account
- A declaration from a registered financial institution in Portugal attesting to the deposit. All charges and obligations must be waived in order to transfer money.
At least ten new job openings
- A declaration from a registered financial institution in Portugal attesting to the deposit required.
- Individual employment agreements between the employer-employee.
- If you are a shareholder of a company: Extract the register of companies